29 March, 2010

Lime Sorbet

To eat this one you seriously have to be a bit of a lime freak.......................it's strong..........lip puckering strong! I had it for dessert tonight, the rest of the family probably had icecream, but I wasn't watching. We'd left the dinner table by then and gone back to the camper. Dessert and TV went together tonight.

The Recipe:
1 cup white sugar
300ml water
rind of 3 limes, grated or peeled, see below
juice of 6 limes

Make a syrup out of the sugar and water by boiling till the sugar dissolves. Add the rind and juice. Cool. Chuck in your ice cream maker and churn for about 30 to 40 minutes. Put it in a container and chuck it in the freezer.

I had a recipe that said add an egg white about 10 minutes before the end. I tried it once. All that happened was that I ended up with frozen slimy lumps in the sorbet! I think maybe if I had of beaten the egg white till slightly more frothy it may not have lumped and also if you don't like the lime rind in the sorbet (which I like) you can peel the rind instead of grating it and add it to the cooking syrup and then strain it out before you churn/freeze the sorbet.

You can also make this without an ice cream maker. Freeze the mixture till slushy (about 4 hours). Get it out and beat it in a food processor. If adding egg white (lightly beaten till frothy) add it now and mix well. Freeze for another 4 hours. All done!


No comments:

Post a Comment