09 July, 2011

Poached pears in a spicy red wine syrup




Winter calls for seasonal fruit of a warming variety and red wine........and this recipe incorporates both things!

At FIG this week we got pears again (Food Integrity Group, an organic food coop on the Central Coast, NSW)........and they were a bit hard, with not a great chance of ripening any time soon, so I reckoned that with the cold weather the way it is, red wine and a bit of simmering they should be perfect in no time at all!

I'm not sure what order the photos will upload but they show the cooking process, the finished product with a quenelle of cream (Caitie was in a "quenelling mood") and another one of how we actually ate it with a big blob of cream.

So here's the way I did it and I decided that taste testing had to come before blogging. So here I sit with a replete belly typing.

Pears In a Spicy Red Wine Syrup

serves 4 to 6 (depending on how many pears you use and how big they are)

300ml red wine
300ml water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cinnamon stick
5 cloves
zest and juice of 1 orange
4-6 pears

Heat everything except the pears in a medium sized saucepan
Bring to the boil and boil till the sugar dissolves
Peel the pears and chop off a bit of their bottoms so they sit flat, if you're in the mood core them as well (though I don't bother)
Pop them in the pot (and a lot of people say sit them upright but it seriously doesn't matter, mine do just fine lying down)
Bring back to the boil, reduce heat then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until pears are soft when tested with the point of a sharp knife
Remove the cinnamon and cloves
Put in the fridge to cool (overnight is good but not essential)
Serve with icecream, cream or creme anglaise
(tonight I used whipped cream with a half a vanilla bean and a dash of sugar, I think it's called something fancy like "creme chantilly", but to me it's just the way mum used to do cream!)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping at my blog, I enjoy seeing what your up to and your yummy recipes :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your layout......the colours were my favourites!

    ReplyDelete